Retool’s form generator now lets you automatically create forms with our new input components! Simply drag a Form onto the canvas, click “generate from a resource,” then select your SQL resource and table. In a few steps, you can build a fully functioning form—without writing an insert query or dragging-and-dropping individual components!****
The form generator flow also has a few new improvements, including:
- Smarter component defaults: given your column type, we’ll select a default type from our new input components. For example, a varchar(n) column will default to a Text Input but can be changed to an Editable Text, Text Area, or Password. An integer column will default to a Number Input but can be changed to an Editable Number, Percent, Rating, Currency, or Slider.
- Automatic labels: We automatically generate labels for you (e.g. a column named created_at will be given the label “Created at”). You can also quickly tab through the fields in each row to edit the labels directly before generating your form.
You can always modify or extend your form by dragging-and-dropping other components into the Form and modifying your insert query. Additionally, you can regenerate your form via the context menu (⌃ + click on the Form component). To learn more about building forms in Retool, including more details about form generation, check out the docs. Form generation only works with a subset of SQL resources (PostgreSQL, MySQL, and MS SQL) right now, but if you’d like to see us support other resource types, let us know in the community forum.
Fixes and improvements
- Added the ability to upgrade deprecated Date Time components
- Added a transition to the Date and Date Time calendar
- Fixed DST handling for Date Time components with the time zone value set to "Local time"
- Fixed formattedValue in Date Time when no timeFormat is specified
- Improved placeholders for configuring URL parameters
- Added support for arrays as parameters for Snowflake queries
- Improved performance of Snowflake queries
- Fixed query loading indicators in presentation mode
- Added warning logging when expected SAML fields are unset (on-prem only)
Check out this guide to see the on-prem versions and their release notes. These fixes and improvements will be rolling out to on-prem customers in the next few weeks.